Git for research
How do you version control?
- Do nothing, hope for the best!
- Mark them as old, new
- Store files in a different directory
- Append a _v1, _v2, etc to the file name
- Add the date, for example: 2012_9_11_class.pdf
- Use Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs, ShareLatex or something else to manage the files.
Why use a version control system?
- Good organization can save a lot of time!
- Clean directory
- Best for collaborating with others: specially if you are working on the same file
- Good project development practice
- Helps share & reproduce
- It's a distributed version control system (DVCS)
- The most used system:
git for their code!
- Highly popular thanks to GitHub